Certificate of Survey for Tonnage and Measurement
YDSA provides Surveys for Tonnage and Measurement, resulting in a Certificate of Survey for Tonnage and Measurement. This certificate is one of the documents you need to register your vessel on Part 1 of the UK Ships Register.
YBDSA has been approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and other authorities to provide Surveys for Tonnage and Measurement.
Registration on Part 1 of the UK Ship Register entitles you to the following benefits:
- Evidence you own the boat
- Shows your boat’s nationality
- Use the boat as security for a marine mortgage
- Entitles you to protection from the Royal Navy and the services of British Consuls
- Provides internationally accepted documentation to ease passage to foreign ports
- Can enhance the re-sale of your vessel
- Provides evidence of date of build for the EU Recreational Craft Directive (RCD)
- Ensures that your boat’s name is unique on Part 1
Part 1 Registration requires re-registration every 5 years and does not require a further Survey for Tonnage and Measurement. This is dealt with directly between you and the Registry.
A new Certificate of Survey for Tonnage and Measurement will be required if there are changes to your vessel (for example, the change of an engine).
To see more about Part 1 Registration and how to start your application with the UK Ship Register, see the government website.
YBDSA has also been approved to provide a Certificate of Survey for Tonnage and Measurement by the following overseas registries:
Ensure you tell us which Registry you want to place your boat under so we know to use the appropriate forms.